Our New Compost Bins
Finally got the horse manure packed away into compost bins that we have made from old wooden pallets. We’ve made four and just completed the work before the weather really turned nasty!
Will post some photos of the new composts once the rain eases off.
Its been a good growing year, we hope that you’ve enjoyed it and we look forward to letting you know about life and times on our allotment in the coming year.
Happy growing in 2014!
A good friend of ours turned up with a trailer full of fresh horse sh1//!t at our plot. Luckily I had managed to procure a free builders wheelbarrow from a free online forum.
We borrowed another barrow from a fellow plot holder and heaped the manure up into a mound at the end of the plot. We then covered the heap with tarp to keep out the rain.
We can’t use it until it rots down so we have been making pallet composts and adding in the fresh stuff with layers of greenery and grass cuttings (to add nitrogen).
It should be good to go in a year or two, you have to be patient in this game…
While sorting out my compost I came accross this. It was a bit of a shock but after a little research I think its a type of moth. Bit scared for a moment but was brave and ventured out again!